After enjoying endless days of 80 degree temps this fall, I’m pretty sure the real Autumn is finally here to stay. (For the record, I am not one bit sad!) With cooler days and windy, rainy weather upon us at last I am in the mood for comfort food. Anything hot and filling is on the menu, and this totally simple recipe is one of my favorites.
The best part is it is cooked right on the stovetop and only dirties one pan! It fits the bill for a quick and easy weeknight dinner and satisfies even the littlest (and pickiest…) in our family. I love to turn on one of my favorite Pandora stations, send the kids downstairs to play, and take my time to actually enjoy cooking when I make this meal.
You can substitute any kind of sausage, depending on your preference and what you have on hand, but this Spinach & Feta Sausage from Aldi is a delicious, low-fat option. I also normally use reduced-fat cream cheese, since going back for seconds pretty much always happens…
The fresh spinach will seem like a lot when first added to the pan, but it will quickly wilt down into a much more manageable amount and you’ll be able to stir it into the creamy tomato sauce. Other variations you can try are kale or broccoli in place of the fresh spinach.
Because this is such a simple dinner to make, you can also double the recipe and enjoy leftovers for lunch the next day.
Paired with a chunk of crispy French bread, this recipe this one pot wonder is a winner in my recipe book!
- 1 -14oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 pkg. Spinach & Feta Chicken Sausage (found at Aldi)
- 1 bag frozen (or 1 pkg. fresh) cheese tortellini
- 1 block cream cheese
- 1 can chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
- Parmesan cheese, to garnish
- On medium heat, drizzle olive oil into a large saucepan or deep skillet. Add minced garlic and Italian seasoning to pan and let cook for 1-2 minutes being careful to not let the garlic burn. Meanwhile slice the spinach and feta sausage links into bite size rounds and add to pan. Cook sausage for 5-7 minutes until browned evenly.
- Pour in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and cream cheese. Cover pan and allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes or until cream cheese can be stirred into sauce. Add tortellini and continue cooking for 8-10 minutes, checking tortellini for tenderness (don't overcook!) Turn heat down to low and place fresh spinach on top of sausage, tomato, tortellini mixture in pan. Cover pan again and allow the fresh spinach to wilt down, then stir to incorporate. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve hot with French bread!