We all know that eating junk food is easy, but I am always looking for ways to make eating healthy easy too. I love this delicious salad because it is both healthy AND easy! It takes only a few minutes to put it together, and it filled my husband up. That is saying something, because he isn’t the kind of guy to eat only a salad for dinner.
I use a large bowl for each person. First, I add the greens. I’ve used romaine before, but this time I used a spinach and arugula mix. Both are good! Next, I add the chicken. Sometimes I use the meat from a rotisserie chicken since it is so tender and already flavored. This time, I boiled a chicken breast and then sliced it into thin strips. You could also grill the chicken and season it to your taste. After the chicken, I sprinkle on the tomato, corn, beans, onion, and cheeses. I don’t have any amounts listed in the recipe because you can add as much or as little of each of these as you want. My husband prefers only a small amount of onion, so his salad gets a lot less of that than mine does. I mix equal parts BBQ sauce and Ranch dressing and add that to the salad or serve it separately on the side. Finally, top with tortilla strips (sold next to the croutons in my grocery store) and you’re ready to enjoy!
- Chopped lettuce (i.e. romaine or spring mix)
- Cooked chicken breast, shredded or sliced thin
- Roma tomato, diced
- Canned corn kernels, drained
- Canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Red onion, diced
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Tortilla Strips
- ¼ cup Ranch dressing
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- Place lettuce in a large bowl and top with chicken, tomato, corn, beans, onion, and cheeses.
- Mix the Ranch dressing and BBQ sauce. Pour desired amount on salad.
- Top with tortilla strips and enjoy!
Do you have a favorite healthy recipe?