a simple real food recipe :: homemade butter… yum!

Just call me Paula Dean… I LOVE butter!!! Butter on my popcorn. Butter on my pancakes. Butter to cook my chicken. Butter, butter, BUTTER! I won’t get into the debate about butter over margarine because butter will win every time! Haha… I love me some butter!

How to make butter logoOk… I think you get the drift. I love butter. Moving on!

Why is butter so expensive? I’m not talking the cheap butter you get at your local grocery store. I’m talking REAL butter. The one in which the butter fat is separated from the butter milk. No other ingredients (except maybe a little salt). No preservatives. No “coloring.” Seriously, who thought to add coloring to butter? Butter is beautiful in its natural form!

Did you know that making your own butter is incredibly easy? All you need is heavy whipping cream. In my case ORGANIC heavy whipping cream. I used my Kitchenaid Mixer for this but you could use a hand mixer. OR if you are feeling really ambitious, you could shake it in the carton as you dance around the house. Just to warn you though, that may take you a while! haha… but you’d burn all your calories before actually eating the yummy butter you are about to make!

So here we go! Follow the simple steps below and let your taste buds go wild!

PS. Special thanks to The Everyday Chef for inspiring me to try my hand at making homemade butter!

IMG_1617 logo

For this recipe, I used 2 pints of Organic Heavy Whipping Cream. Throw it all in your stand mixer using the whisk attachment (you could do this with a handheld mixer as well I believe). Start your mixer on a speed 4 and walk away… this will take a little while.

IMG_1631 logo

Now you may be tempted to stop mixing the cream when you see it start to look like whipped cream (YUM!). Unless you have a pie you are intending this for, keep going!

IMG_1632 logo

After about 10 minutes, you will start to notice the butter milk separating from the butter fat.

IMG_1633 logo

Once it looks like this… move to the next step.

IMG_1636 logo

IMG_1637 logo

Use a cheese cloth (or you can just squeeze it with your hands) and strain the rest of the milk from the butter.

IMG_1641 logo

To preserve the butter, you need to give it a cold water bath. Use water as cold as your hands can handle and work the butter under the water for a minute or so. Drain the water and complete this step at least 4 times total. You will notice the water will start to be less cloudy the more you do this.

IMG_1646 logo

When you are done, you can mix in a little salt if you want… and VOILA! You have a beautiful lump of butter and delicious buttermilk! Be sure to use the buttermilk and don’t let it go to waster :)

ENJOY!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Shanda

the shutterbug :: shanda is mommy to one very smiley little boy and is happily married to her other half. she enjoys capturing life’s precious moments with her camera and believes that pictures really are worth a thousand words. she loves making memories, date nights, DIY projects, camping, long walks, dark chocolate (or any chocolate), traveling, family time, and God. her life verse is Psalm 19:14. Find more about Shanda on her blog, twitter, pinterest, and facebook.

More Posts - Website

Comments

1. Angela P. says:

I’ve gotta try this! I <3 butter.. I bet this would taste so much better than the stuff you buy from the store. Thanks for sharing.

2. Susan Robbins says:

My mom made butter when I was very young and we had a cow named Minerva. Its a lot easier to use your recipe than to milk a cow and start from there! haha. I am happy for your recipe because now I can make my own butter and remember my mom and Minerva. Thank you.

3. wen budro says:

What!? For some reason, I thought it was much more complicated than that. I am going to try making this just to see if there’s a difference in taste and cost. Awesome pictures and step-by-step tutorial….it makes it easier to follow. Thank you.

4. Holly E says:

Nice tutorial! I am going to try my hand at making homemade butter. How exciting!

5. I think I’m going to try this with my daughter this weekend. We treated ourselves to some French and Irish butter from an international market and are now out. It was so good! I bet she would LOVE to make her own butter!

6. Sue Hull says:

That looks so yummy and easy. I may have to tell my mom to make some butter. Thanks for sharing :)

7. miranda says:

I never would have thought of doing this, but it sounds fun.

8. brooke thomas says:

looks amazing and so simple!!

9. meredith says:

Thats awesome – ive made yogurt but hadnt thought about butter!

10. sara giresi says:

WOW that is so easy! I can not wait to try making my own butter! I cringe every time I buy it since it is expensive and we LOVE butter tooo! Thanks for the info!

• Good luck making it! :) I do not know if you live near a Costco, but I have found that is a great place to buy Organic Whipping Cream at a decent price!

11. Jenny L says:

We do this all the time. I’m lactose intolerant so we treat the cream first and then do it. The buttermilk gets saved for pancakes, biscuits, quiche etc. We skip washing it though because we freeze it for storage. You only need to wash it if you are keeping it out and won’t eat it quickly. But back when we did wash it my daughter used to love mashing it with a fork in a bowl of ice cold water.

12. Karen Propes says:

We lived on a farm when I was growing up. My Mom put milk in a large gallon container and we would just shake it while we watched TV, so nice to eat homemade butter. Thanks for sharing, I haven’t had any homemade butter in a long long time,

13. Beth Rees says:

Why have I never made butter before? It seems so simple! I can’t wait to make it with my kids

14. Oh my goodness, My husband is just like you butter butter and more butter! I am going to show him this recipe next. I am impressed and I am sure we will be making this. Thanks for the info!!!

15. Homemade butter is the best…I did it with bacon once and it was amazing :)

16. Amanda Sakovitz says:

This looks yummy! I’ve never made homemade butter before.

17. soha molina says:

Looks like a recipe I can follow and make.

18. Janet W. says:

I have never made butter before just because I don’t really have the time to. But this looked pretty easy to do. I think I’ll try to make it soon!

19. Sarah L says:

OK, this is one of those things I never thought about. I get that kind of organic cream so all I need is some mixing. Thanks.

20. I didn’t know that’s how one got buttermilk, as dorky as it sounds. I need to try this out, so I can get both byproducts!

21. Peggy Johnson says:

I remember my grandmother making butter, Yum

22. My husband has been telling me that making butter is super easy and we need to try it; it looks like he was right! I guess we will give it a try soon.

23. Wow how fun! This looks like a fun idea to do with my son! Thanks for sharing.

24. Thomas Murphy says:

Looks good! I want to try this.

25. Julie Ghrist says:

this doesn’t seem so hard. I have never made butter before… maybe i will give it a try. Thanks for the recipe!

26. Michelle J. says:

Butter and buttermilk–so great!

27. Diane Cooper says:

I had no idea! I am so excited to have found this because I, like you, love butter. Had I known it was this easy, I would have been making my own butter forever. I hate the cheap butter at the grocery store – even though it really isn’t that cheap. The really good organic butter at specialty stores is out of my price range. I can do this!!!!

28. Sarah Hayes says:

this looks so fun and easy. the only kind of homemade butter Ive had was done in a churn. this looks like a fun activity for a rainy day

29. Patricia says:

I have never tried making homemade butter, but this looks easy.

30. YES!! Here is the butter!!! YAY!! soooo easy….but now what if you dont’ have one of those fancy machines…..hehehe

31. Sadie B. says:

Great idea for DIY butter. The time is worth the end result.