This is a pretty special treat in our house since we don’t keep “juice” around, but when you are using fresh ingredients and natural sweetening methods, it is a far better special treat choice than the lemonade or concentrate choices in the store. Most store bought lemonades are going to be full of high fructose corn syrup, toxic food colorings, and other additives. I also find them way sweeter than they need to be.
I made this batch up for my daughter’s 4th birthday party a couple weeks ago, and thought I’d share it with you! I hope you get a chance to enjoy it with your kids this summer 🙂
- 1 cup fresh or frozen organic strawberries (if frozen, thaw them out and use the juices)
- Juice of 4-5 lemons
- ⅓ cup raw honey or organic pure cane sugar (could use sucanat but it will change the color)
- Filtered water
- Blend the strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar in a blender for a good minute or so to be sure the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the puree into your pitcher and fill with water to the top.
- Pour the water and puree mixture through a strainer to get out all the strawberry seeds and pulp and transfer the juice back into your pitcher.
- Add more water if needed.
- These measurements really depend on the juiciness of your lemons and the sweetness of your strawberries. You might be able to get away with less sugar if your strawberries are quite sweet. For this batch my lemons were very juicy so it was nice and tart and did need a little extra sweet.
- I have made this with just strawberries for a special treat and it is delicious! No strawberries? No problem – just do it up as a plain lemonade!
- Freeze it up into popsicle molds!
- Mamas! If you are so inclined (and it’s the right time of day!) hit your glass with a splash of organic vodka 😉 Hey, we deserve that every once and a while, eh?! I like the Rain Organics brand.
Let me know how you like it!