Alright. So if there is anything that has gotten me more “hippie” comments from my family and friends it’s this topic 🙂
But in all seriousness this is a pretty important subject.
I had no idea that I was accumulating years and years of toxic aluminum in my body. Or exposing my breast tissue to cancer causing parabens.
I happened to get a heavy metal screening done at my doctor about 2 years looking for something separate, only to find that in addition to what they thought we might be finding, the aluminum levels in my body were OFF THE CHART…literally. Like it didn’t even show where it ended on the graph because it was so high.
The doctor explained what heavy metals like aluminum do to the body. And since the highest exposure in most cases is related to deodorant, we pin pointed that as one of the areas to fix. He also explained how toxic parabens in deodorant affect the body.
Aluminum in the body is linked to Alzheimer’s disease and other neurological issues. No thank you.
The parabens found in deodorant are linked to breast cancer. Again – no thank you.
So I tossed out every stick of toxic deodorant in the house and choked on the price of bought the all natural aluminum free deodorant at the store.
I set out to find a more cost effective way of doing the deodorant thing – because as hippie as you think I may be, I am pretty civilized and like to smell nice 😉
These were the things Pinterest was made for! I have tried about 3 or 4 different recipes in the last two years and this is the combo I came up with that works for me.
1 empty deodorant container
4 TB organic corn starch (please go for the organic to avoid GMO’s)
3 TB coconut oil (I have been finding my cheapest at Costco but the linked up Nutvia on here is a great price too if you don’t have access to Costco)
10-20 drops tea tree or lavender essential oil
- Melt the coconut oil in a sauce pan and stir in the corn starch until combined completely.
- Stir in the essential oil.
- Pour into an empty deodorant container and let it solidify at room temp or quicker in the fridge. May store at room temp.
- Body odor issues are also linked to low magnesium levels. I have found in the last year that doing a foot bath in magnesium salts 1 or 2 times per week makes it so I don’t even need much deodorant and can even skip a day or 2. You can either buy Epsom salt or magnesium flakes. Do about a cup in a foot bath or 2 cups in a bathtub for a full body soak.
- This amount makes enough to fill my deodorant container – an old Tom’s natural deodorant container. Yours might be a bigger size and you may be able to double or do a recipe and a half of this. The Tom’s containers are pretty small in my opinion.
- If you aren’t there yet in wanting to make your own deodorant – for your own health, please still make the switch to a SAFER option. One that is aluminum and paraben free. Tom’s, Crystal, and Truly’s are all brands I have tried and liked. Price compare with your local health food store and Amazon for the best price. Read labels and just be sure the active ingredient isn’t aluminum.
- Want more DIY fun for your home to get the toxins out? Try THIS foaming hand soap using just 3 simple ingredients and skip out on the triclosan and paraben dangers in your hand soaps!
Do you make your own deodorant already? What is your recipe/technique? Let me know if you try this out!